What Is Dangerous Goods Freight?
In Canada, Dangerous Goods is a special classification of freight defined and regulated by Transport Canada. Handling and shipping dangerous goods requires special training and protocols, and not all shipping and logistics companies handle dangerous goods freight. Some products, like ammunition, are obviously dangerous goods. However, there are lots of other products, like lithium batteries, that may not seem dangerous but would be classified as such.
Dangerous Goods freight is defined as freight that belongs to one of nine classes:
- Flammable Liquids.
- Flammable Solids; Substances that can spontaneously combust; Substances that emit flammable gases when in contact with water.
- Oxidizing Substances and Organic Peroxides
- Toxic and Infectious Substances
- Radioactive Material
- Miscellaneous Dangerous Substances and Articles or Environmentally Hazardous Substances that do not fit in the other categories.
The shipping of dangerous goods is tightly regulated and requires demonstration of competence in several areas:
- Training to handle the dangerous goods
- Using special documentation for shipping
- Containment of dangerous goods
- Safety marking and identification of dangerous goods freight
- Understanding reporting requirements and having a plan for emergencies.
As shown above, the shipping of dangerous goods is significantly more complex than shipping normal freight. It requires special training, labeling, packaging, documentation, experience, and planning for emergencies.
If you ship dangerous goods, Pacific Coast Distribution, based in Langley, BC, on the Lower Mainland can help you with your shipping and logistics and warehousing needs. Call us at (877) 999-8489 if you need help moving your dangerous goods quickly and efficiently. We are experienced handling dangerous goods and work with them on a daily basis. We always work with each client individually to find the best and most efficient solution for their products.
Pacific Coast Distribution, LTD, is a family-owned transportation and logistics company, based in Langley, British Columbia, with 20 years of experience and a fleet of 50 trucks and a 60,000-square-foot warehouse.
If you have any questions about this article or would like to talk to us about your transportation and freight needs, give us a call at (877) 999-8489.